This station, inaugurated in October 1889, was for a long time the terminal point of the ORC main line. Yet, the installation were always modest. The main building, still in place, has a single level and is rather small, reflecting the secondary importance of Dinar.
The station use to have a small 2 track engine shed and a coaling station. this shed is now gone, demolished in the 1990s after the end of steam. Locomotives were turned on a triangle.
A new building was built around 2008/2010 to the south of the triangle.