MT5201 to MT5202
- Type: DMU-2 (possibly converted into DMU-3 in 1954)
- Quantity built: 6, 2 delivered to TCDD.
- First year: 1944
- Power: 840 HP (2 x 420 HP)
- Manufacturer: MAN
In 25 October 1940, TCDD placed an order for six diesel railcars with MAN. Each unit had two motor cars of 420 HP each. Nuremberg engineers designed a sturdy unit with a large cooling system very proeminent on each car roof. Each car had the same size, they both had a motor on the outer ends and similar external appearance but their internal layout was different.
- The A car had a luggage compartment between the motor and the boarding platform. Then came two second class compartments divided in their middle by a toilet / washroom. Finally, a small buffet compartment was provided.
- The B car had also a luggage compartment that was set up for the transportation of mail and valuable goods. This compartment had a lockable cabinet. Then came a second class compartment, the toilet washroom and finally the first class compartment.
The 12 cylinders MAN diesel engine was bogie mounted and the power transmission was made by a semiautomatic gearbox. The unit could travel at a 120 km/h top speed.
War events disrupted the manufacturing and the delivery of these units since only the first two could reach Turkey. Of other four, three units went to the Slovak railways and one stayed in Germany. However, TCDD was satisfied enough with the MT5200 to place another order again with MAN for the MT5300.
It is recorded that MAN received an order for two cars which were delivered on the 15 July 1954 (serial number 140 866 / 140 867). The exact type of this car is not known but it is likely to be an intermediate trailer to transform the unit into a 5200 a/c/b. The two 5200 sets could then be used along with the MT5300, despite being of lower power.
|Henshel factory Number||TCDD Number||Actual delivery|
|139 179 + 139 180||MT 5201 a/b||TCDD / 1944|
|139 181 + 139 182||MT 5202 a/b||TCDD / 1944|
|139 183 + 139 184||MT 5203 a/b||Slovak railways|
|139 185 + 139 186||MT 5204 a/b||German railways|
|139 187 +139 188||MT 5205 a/b||Slovak railways|
|139 189 + 139 190||MT 5206 a/b||Slovak railways|
|DMU Axle notation||B'2' + 2' B'|
|Overall length (m)||47,235 m|
|total weight (T)||90|
|Max speed (km/h)||120|
|Total capacity||127 seats|
|motor unit capacity||63 seats, 2nd class|
|trailer unit capacity||1st class:24 seats; 2nd class:40 seats|
|Power:||2 x 309 KW (420 HP) at 1500 rpm|
|Engine||MAN Diesel, 12 cylinders, type L12V 17,5/18|
|Transmission||Mechanical 5 speeds, type Mylius semiautomatic|